January 7, 2008

Uh-Oh: Golden Globes Cancelled

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced today that they will be canceling the 65th Annual Golden Globes Award Ceremony, following the announcement from the Screen Actors Guild last weekend that their nominated members would not cross the picket line of the Writers Guild of America. This wasn't really a surprise, but it is troubling to imagine what could happen to my beloved Oscar ceremony if the writers' strike is still happening in 6 weeks.

The Golden Globes will still be announced in a "press conference" this Sunday night on NBC. Boooo-ring.

I guess it will be interesting to see them announce 25 award categories in less than an hour. Lightning rounds! I know most people would hope for the same from the Oscars, but I enjoy the drawn-out speeches, nominated song performances, and amusing reactions. The worst acting in Hollywood is seen from the nominated losers on Oscar night.

Stay tuned for post-Globe analysis and Oscar predictions. I'm not doing my Top 10 of 2007 yet because I consider the "year" to end in February, and a couple of contenders (namely Persepolis) have yet to arrive in Minneapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails