April 6, 2008

Whatever Happened To: The Brat Pack?


For months I've meaning to do some kind of John Hughes filmography review, but I haven't been able to get to it yet. Hughes has been generating interest lately because he wrote the recent released Drillbit Taylor, his first screenplay since (can you guess...) Beethoven's 5th in 2003. Anyway, the Los Angeles Times recently profiled the former teen actors from Hughes' popular 1980's movies.

Some observations:
  • Wow, Judd Nelson looks completely different. I didn't expect him to still look like John Bender (The Breakfast Club), but he owned that character so much I guess I just thought John Bender was an actual person.
  • Who would have thought you'd have to watch the ABC Family Channel to see Ally Sheedy again?
  • Anthony Michael Hall is going to be in The Dark Knight? Wouldn't have expected that from the former Rusty Griswold (National Lampoon's Vacation), Farmer Ted (Sixteen Candles), Brian Johnson (The Breakfast Club) and Gary Wallace (Weird Science).
  • Macaulay Culkin. What is with the freaky stuff? I'm starting to think that in real life you're much closer to your character in The Good Son than you are to those in Home Alone or Uncle Buck.
  • I completely forgot Alan Ruck (Ferris Bueller's Day Off) was the annoying bus passenger in Speed.
  • Michael Schoeffling (Sixteen Candles) - really? A carpenter? Good for you.
  • I don't know if I'm more surprised that Gedde Watanabe (Sixteen Candles) is still playing up Asian stereotypes or just that he's acting at all.
Hope to complete the Hughes list some time this month...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, but no! No problem with Molly Ringwald. I already kind of knew that she's had one of the most successful careers of the Pack. The "observations" are just the surprises that jumped out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy.....Sloane is still smoking hot! and p.s., how did I miss that poll? I vote Chiwetel Ejiofor for sure! 369 votes? what the shit? big time holmes, big time. You'll know you've made it once Google stops asking "Did you mean metafilm?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't know why Mia Sara's career never took off. Maybe she's just a terrible actress, though that hasn't stopped others from "making it."

    Haha, I know. Metaphilm must hate me. No love lost, I hope.

    You must have been gone for the poll all weekend. IMDb plugged me with some big traffic. Now it's back to my few dear regulars. Believe me, I'd rather have the handful of you cool people than some of the clowns who showed up from there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails