November 27, 2008

Short Cuts: "Unless'n You're a Hog, Or a Cattle"

A classic scene from my favorite Thanksgiving movie (but not my favorite scene, which was taken off of YouTube by Paramount this week). Enjoy...

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles (1987). Written and directed by John Hughes; starring Steve Martin, John Candy, Laila Robins, and Edie McClurg.



Happy Thanksgiving!

(here's a more touching scene from the movie, appropriate for the holiday)

Several of the many things I'm thankful for, in addition to film, are the time, ability and access to technology necessary for writing this blog. And for all of you who make it worthwhile. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Great choice Dan, I must have seen this 20 times, there's so much to love about this film.

    The pairing of Martin and Candy; robbed of one of the great comedy duos that could have been, perhaps?

    Hughes at his finest.

    Those aren't pillows.

    And just the unabashed saccharine, the unashamed love of family and people. I just love it.

    "Her first baby come out sideways". That line makes me wince and laugh myself silly at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you've checked pretty much everything off the list here. There's nothing less than stellar in this movie - I even like the cheesy 80's synthesizer soundtrack.

    My favorite scene actually comes before the pillows morning. The "chatty kathy/I like me" argument they have is incredible. I'd say it's the most dramatic moment of the movie, and Candy's sincerity just floors me.

    Everytime I've seen that guy in old movies on TV (like Uncle Buck) I've been reminded how good of an ACTOR he was - not just a comic actor.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this film. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I forgot that this was a Thanksgiving movie. Family Guy recently did a PTaA scene which cracked me up.

    John Candy was one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rick. I wish I'd seen it over the holiday, but alas, it didn't happen.

    Scott I think I saw a clip of that on YouTube but I missed it in its entirety - thanks for the reminder.

    I did see The Great Outdoors on TV, however, and you're right - Candy was amazing in everything. I'd forgotten how young he seemed in that one. Somebody needs to do a Candy blogathon or appreciation...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails