November 7, 2008

The Alphabet Meme

Fletch at Blog Cabins has tagged me for a meme he created - it will soon conquer the movie blogosphere!
___________________________________
The Rules

1. Pick your favorite film to represent each letter of the alphabet.

2. The letter "A" and the word "The" do not count as the beginning of a film's title, unless the film is simply titled A or The, and I don't know of any films with those titles.

3. Return of the Jedi belongs under "R," not "S" as in Star Wars Episode IV: Return of the Jedi. This rule applies to all films in the original Star Wars trilogy; all that followed start with "S." Similarly, Raiders of the Lost Ark belongs under "R," not "I" as in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Conversely, all films in the LOTR series belong under "L" and all films in the Chronicles of Narnia series belong under "C," as that's what those filmmakers called their films from the start. In other words, movies are stuck with the titles their owners gave them at the time of their theatrical release. Use your better judgement to apply the above rule to any series/films not mentioned.

4. Films that start with a number are filed under the first letter of their number's word. 12 Monkeys would be filed under "T."

5. Link back to Blog Cabins in your post so that I can eventually type "alphabet meme" into Google and come up #1, then make a post where I declare that I am the King of Google.

6. If you're selected, you have to then select 5 more people.
_______________________________________

Fletch and I have insanely similar taste so I was tempted to just copy and paste his entire list, but that wouldn't have been any fun. NOTE: these do not include documentaries, because I didn't have time to do that much research - I just used this site recommended by Fletch. Also, don't confuse these with the best movies I've ever seen or some favorite classics (some of them are in fact bad movies). I'm thinking about these in terms of "Movies I Could Watch At Any Given Moment, Regardless of Mood", so most of them will be fluff:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Back to the Future

Cidade De Deus (City of God)

Die Hard

Empire Strikes Back, The

Fight Club

Good Will Hunting (over The Godfather?!?!)

Happy Gilmore (just barely over High School High)

Innerspace

Jurassic Park

Krieger und die Kaiserin, Der (Fletch used Lola Rennt, so take that)

Lord of the Flies (1990 version)

Magnolia

Notting Hill

Office Space

Power of One, The (otherwise known as my favorite of all time - ever, with a bullet)

Quincea
ñera

Rushmore

Shawshank Redemption, The

Top Gun

UHF

Vertigo

What's Up Doc?

X-Men (wow, not a lot of options here)

Y Tu Mamá
También

Zodiac (slim pickings here as well)


I feel like I ended up picking whatever was listed in the first few pages for each letter, so they're almost all recent movies. Lazy, I know.

I think this is why I have such a hard time making "favorites" lists, or at least narrowing them down. How can you remember the thousands of movies in your head?

I'm asking you:
Alexander at Coleman's Corner in Cinema
Miranda at Cinematic Passions
Marilyn at Ferdy on Films
Rick at Coosa Creek Cinema
Nick at Fataculture (;-P)
The Mad Hatter at The Dark of the Matinee
Matthew at From the Front Row
Jonathan at Hollywoodland Flash
Pat at Doodad Kind of Town
Kathie Smith at Kathie Smith

Only if you're interested, of course, and if you haven't already done it. And if you don't have a blog or I didn't tag you - go for it, even in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. Piper already tagged me. I'm on his perpetual tag list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think there are number of people (mostly LAMBs) that perpetually tag each other. (For those of you who haven't figured it out, a "meme" is the blogging equivalent of chain mail.) If you do decide to do it, I imagine it will be a much more interesting line-up than mine, just like your double feature film festival one was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fellow Y tu mama tambien fan, sweet. Magnolia was on my M short list but Moulin Rouge! won out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And....

    DONE.

    So there, honey boy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danny, lol. Yeah, I’m glad everyone is having fun with yet another meme that I am sure is quite rewarding to compile, and I have enjoyed reading every single one. I’ll say that much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jurassic Park is the only film we both picked. But so many of your picks were my number two. UHF (and Umberto D) came in right after Unfaithful. Notting Hill is one of my favorites, I don't care what people say! Damnit, I'm proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a fun meme. I should have my list up later today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice choice with Quinceanera, an overlooked gem. J.D. already tagged me I'm afraid - you can see my results here: http://fromthefrontrow.blogspot.com/2008/11/alphabet-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for chiming in, Reel Whore. Although there weren't a lot of "Y" movies, that one jumped out at me as soon as I saw it. Definitely an overlooked movie.

    Haha, Nick, I read you loud and clear.

    Scott, I also considered Jaws and Jerry Maguire there. All movies that I will stop and watch if I come across them on TV every now and then.

    Thanks, Pat, I'll be sure to check yours out.

    I know, Matt, I saw your list right after I tagged you. Hopefully anyone who wants to jump in here has. It's hard to know exactly who's already in and who would do it in the first place anyway. This one was pretty simple, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hate your choices, Daniel - all of 'em. You have awful taste in film, and I'm never coming back here.

    Nice cheat on The Princess and the Warrior, too. ;) Still need to rent that...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hat's off to you for an insanely successful meme. I'd say you've earned that Google crown you were after.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for tagging me, Daniel, this proved to be a great deal of fun. Your list is cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails