May 12, 2008

(Movie) News You Need to Know: Tyson Punch to the Babymaker

Mike Tyson Film Takes a Swing at His Old Image

Boxing legend Mike Tyson is the subject of a new documentary, Tyson, highlighted in yesterday's New York Times before the film's premiere at the Cannes Film Festival later this month. I'm more of a "big fight" fan of boxing than am I of the sport itself, but Tyson probably drew my interest more than any other boxer in the last 20 years. As a fan of documentaries, all seems well.
Reading the article, however, I had a sinking feeling that the timing isn't right. Sure, I'm curious as to what life outside of the ring is like for this guy, but I hope it's not mainly focused on his post-boxing problems. The real story should be about a troubled kid's rise to success, not about a troubled boxer's fall from glory. Maybe it will be both, but I expect the latter. The guy's only 41 years old. I say hold off 10-15 years for some perspective, especially if he cleans himself up enough to be around that long.


Is Anchorman 2 Coming?

Sounds like there's some "late-breaking news" about our favorite news anchor Ron Burgundy. Doing a little research, I found that IGN first buzzed about an Anchorman sequel almost two years ago. Then
Film School Rejects and Slashfilm picked it up two months ago. Now, Collider.com offers recorded evidence that yes, Adam Mckay & Co. would like to make an Anchorman 2. Well, if I read it on the internet in four places then it must be true, right? Maybe not, but there's no reason to think this wouldn't happen, especially with the DVD success the original has had over the last few years. I think the real question isn't whether it will happen, but whether it should happen. Yes, I think Anchorman is one of the funniest movies of the decade so far - which is precisely why I'm nervous for a subpar sequel. Ferrell still has it in him, but producer Judd Apatow's track record is in a fair decline over the course of the last 10 months. It would probably be best if he didn't lord over the production.

10 comments:

  1. If "Anchorman 2" is made, I might die. I am so sick of these sequels hat only want to ruin a good thing.

    Anchorman = Classic. One of Ferrell's best. Dammit.
    Donnie Darko – Classic. “S.Darko”??? Come on!!!

    The film world is cruel and unfair, and as much I love it, it makes me mad. Much like family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to know what to think, Nick. Without sequels we wouldn't have some classic, classic films. You know - The Godfather Part II, The Empire Strikes Back...Back to the Future Part II, but we also wouldn't have the loads and loads and loads of garbage that's being churned out an ever increasing pace. How many sequels were there in 2007? Like 78? Seriously!

    But if either of those could be as good as their originals...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO right, I always let my initial disgust cloud my vision.

    If they do suck, we'll I knew it, if they are good - forget I ever expected otherwise ;)

    *Godfather 2....drools*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, love the drool. Well I'm still hesitant about the Anchorman sequel - and the Darko one for that matter - but at least it's Ferrell and McKay again instead of some other clowns. Remember Dumb and Dumberer? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not even remember Dumb and Dumber. I never saw it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me neither, actually, but it's infamously known as a horrid sequel to a fantastic comedy, i.e. Anchorman.

    If I had more time I'd actually like to research comedy sequels and see what the statistics say about Anchorman 2 being halfway decent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would disagree with the claim that Apatow has been in decline. I didn't see Drillbit Taylor, but Walk Hard and Forgetting Sarah Marshall were both funnier than any non-Apatow movies in that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eh, I don't know. "In that period" isn't really saying much, is it? I mean that's only going back to basically Christmas. Those three since Christmas, up against what, Strange Wilderness? I didn't see Drillbit Taylor, either, which probably says something.

    Part of the problem is that Apatow's name is stamped on anything that he might have looked at at some point. There's no way to know how involved he actually is with anything.

    I'm not saying he's totally lost it or anything, but now that he's a big shot, if he can be attached to something (Anchorman 2) he will, and it might take away from the original vision of it.

    I don't know what I'm saying, can you tell? I'm just nervous about a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought "Anchorman" has already had several sequels - "Talladega Nights," "Blades of Glory," and "Semi-Pro." He's been essentially playing the same character for most of his career. Granted, I love it. But still. "Anchorman" is the best of them all though, and I would like to see him slip back into Ron Burgundy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say the character you mention in those three (TN, BG, SP) are really similar, but Ron Burgundy is a little more refined - at least on the surface. He's classy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails